Sydney Ellis

Dear curious learner,
I’m Sydney and I am filled with questions and curiosity, just like you. I want to share my journey to help you navigate the academic world to become more comfortable with the ambiguity of the future. I believe the learning process never stops and the search for the answers is often more impactful than the answers themselves.

I thrive for the meaning for why. From a very young age, I have always believed information to be the ultimate power. This shaped my inquisitive attitude toward the world and my studies. This was rewarded by my teachers and instructors throughout my growing years, placing me on the honour role in high school as well as being awarded with four academic scholarships at UVic. Currently, I am in my fourth year and final semester of business school at UVic. My classes have helped mold my curious personality and provided me with the necessary tools to look objectively at situations. I also work as a finance analyst where attention to detail is critical to accurate financial reporting. On top of that, I volunteer in a kindergarten classroom to help shape the young minds of the curious children that I once was, to help foster their creativity. I value healthy living as well as family, and trust which I hope it positively instill in others.

I believe that a person never stops learning, and I want to continue to expand my knowledge and explore different perspectives through attending law school. Being a lawyer will allow my creativity to flourish, where I can be motivated by settling disputes. I enjoy research and focusing my energy on reading all the facts, to then decipher creative points of discussion. Investigating the facts is a critical part of being a lawyer which I believe I have been practicing my whole life. I want to continue to help motivate and ignite curiosity in others and also want to connect with others who believe in the power of information and knowing why things matter.