Using the SAMR framework to evaluate my H5P interactive video from last week, I would rank my video in the Redefinition category. This is because the technology supports the creation of new tasks and provides a more engaging method of learning that previously would have been unimaginable. This H5P video allows a digital story project to be formed with audio, text, and tables. It also allows for relevant text boxes to appear and quizzes leaners with multiple-choice questions after a concept is discussed. This is a revolutionary upgrade from writing a paper in class. It is also an upgrade from using tools such as a computer for typing (Substitution) or a more efficient platform like Google Docs (Augmentation). The H5P interactive video is even an enhancement from the Modification category of the SAMR framework, where tools such as WordPress blogs create substantial task reduction. This is because new tasks and methods of understanding for large audiences are achievable through this H5P interactive video.

Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

Although the SECTIONS framework is also beneficial in evaluating videos, I chose the SAMR evaluation framework because I believe my H5P interactive video directly matches the description of the Redefinition category. This complex form of multimedia learning truly “redefines” the traditional form of written learning and note-taking, setting new standards for high-level interactive learning.

The signalling principle relates to my H5P interactive video because text boxes and multiple-choice cues appeared to highlight and reinforce the key concepts of the presentation. The segmenting principle also relates because the multimedia message of the video was presented in learner-based segments rather than a constant unit. The multiple-choice questions in the video allow learners to stop and think about current concepts, before moving onto new ideas.

Here is my 360-tour of the beautiful Campbell River, BC.